2020 CAPDHHE National Conference – SAVE THE DATE – April 20-22, 2020, Sheridan College, Mississauga Ontario
CAPDHHE is delighted to announce the location for the 2020 CAPDHHE National Conference at Sheridan College in Mississauga, Ontario. (Speakers to be announced soon!)
Since 1984, the annual CAPDHHE conference has offered the latest updates and workshops on human rights and equity issues from activists, administrators, faculty members, staff, lawyers, artists and students, who work with campus communities at Canadian colleges and universities.
This year’s CAPDHHE conference will feature a group of groundbreaking speakers who understand the challenges in higher education and who will provoke cutting-edge approaches to our work.
THEME: Equity, Diversity & Inclusion: Seeds of Possibility in a Changing Landscape
Equity practitioners often find themselves in the unique position of being advocates of human rights and being responsible for the implementation of institutional policies relating to the prevention of harassment, discrimination and sexual violence. The landscape is challenging and changing as we navigate an array of competing rights and interests including freedom of expression, freedom from harassment and discrimination, protection of persons and property, the right to a safe work environment, mental health issues and employment equity. It is within the context of campus diversity, the ever-present need for meaningful dialogue and the necessity of developing new knowledge and skills, that equity practitioners must sow the ‘seeds of possibility’.
FORMAT: The Conference 2020 will include a half-day pre-conference workshop. There will be keynote speakers, panels and workshops on a variety of topics including Indigenizing the academy, freedom of expression, racial discrimination, the NSERC (avoid acronyms) Dimensions Program, education and human rights law updates, prevention of sexual violence, and self-care as a change agent.
Dates: April 20-22, 2020
Location: Sheridan College, Hazel McCallion Campus
4226 Duke of York Blvd.
Mississauga, Ontario, L5B 0G5
The Call for Proposals will be sent out soon!
To discuss sponsoring Conference 2020 or a particular panel, or if you have any questions, please contact the CAPDHHE Executive Coordinator at Sonya.Nigam@gmail.com.
2019 CAPDHHE National Conference
The Canadian Association for the Prevention of Discrimination and Harassment in Higher Education (CAPDHHE) is pleased to present information about its 2019 CAPDHHE National Conference.
SPEAKING TRUTH TO POWER! Standing Up for Human Rights and Equity Values
Dates: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 to Friday, June 14, 2019
Location: MacEwan University, Edmonton, Alberta
June 12, 2019 is a pre-conference day, which will be of interest to CAPDHHE members with an opening reception and guest speaker in the evening. Please save the date and stay tuned for details!
June 13 & 14, 2019 are devoted to the main conference sessions and will focus on the challenges of human rights and equity work in the post-secondary sector.
- Freedom of Speech v. Academic Freedom v. Hate Speech
- Practical challenges of our work – under-resourcing, increasing caseloads, legalistic nature of the work, formal investigations, case management tracking, recording of conversations etc.
- Implementation of Sexual Violence Policies/Legislation
- Global to Local Movements Affecting our Campuses: Indigenization of the Curriculum, Truth and Reconciliation Commission – Calls to Action, Anti-Black Racism issues, #metoo Campaign, Fighting Against White Supremacy and Islamophobia, Cannabis Legalization, etc.
- Social Media impact on our work.
2019 CAPDHHE Conference Chair
We’re pleased to welcome our 2019 CAPDHHE Conference Chair:
Irfan Chaudhry, Director, Office of Human Rights, Diversity and Equity, MacEwan University
Irfan Chaudhry became the first director of MacEwan University’s Office of Human Rights, Diversity and Equity, which was created in 2016 to ensure that members of the campus community had access to an impartial office in dealing with discrimination and harassment issues. For the last eight years, Irfan has taught sociology and criminology at MacEwan. Beyond his teaching accomplishments, Irfan holds a master’s degree in criminal justice, and has worked on human rights policies for the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Police Service, while also sitting on the Alberta Hate Crimes Committee. Irfan was also honoured as the recipient of the Emerging Leadership Award during the 2018 CAPDHHE National Awards of Excellence.
MacEwan University Residences is offering special room rates for CAPDHHE Conference attendees as follows:
- 5 x Queen Hotel Room @ $89.10/night + tax (I.E. $97.12/night)
- 2 x Double Queen Hotel Room @ $98.10/night + tax (I.E. $106.93/night)
- 1 x One Bedroom and Den Deluxe Suite @ $116.10/night + tax (I.E. $126.55/night)
- 1 x Two Bedroom Deluxe Suite @ $116.10/night + tax (I.E. $126.55/night)
- 15 x Bachelor Summer Suite – Dorm Room @ $71.10/night + tax (I.E. $77.50/night)
- 50+ x Two Bedroom Summer Suite – Dorm Room @ $98.10/night + tax (I.E. $106.93/night)
- 10 x Four Bedroom Summer Suite – Dorm Room @ $215.10/night + tax (I.E. $234.46/night)
Visit the website for a photo gallery of accommodation options: http://bit.ly/
Other Downtown Hotel Options:
Sutton Place Hotel Edmonton:
Delta Hotels - Edmonton Central Suites: